Bend is proud to honor our Veterans. Show your support by attending the Veterans Day parade. You’ll want to dress warmly and arrive early. As one of the largest Veterans Day parades in the state, this is definitely a “don’t miss” event. The parade begins at Veterans Memorial Bridge and proceeds east on NW Newport Avenue, south on NW Wall Street, west on NW Franklin Avenue along NW Riverside Boulevard, turns onto NW Galveston Avenue and ends at NW Harmon Boulevard.
This year, the parade is scheduled for 11/11 and starts at 11 am. This is a reflection of the history of Armistice Day. This time and date is a commemoration of the signing of the Armistice between the Allied Powers and the Central Powers effectively ending all military operations and hostilities in all theaters and fronts of World War I. The signing took effect at eleven o’clock in the morning—the “eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month” of 1918.
- Bring low parade chairs and/or blankets.
- Make a plan with friends, as far as where you’ll meet.
- A thermos of coffee or cocoa, or purchase from downtown merchants.
- Goodie bags for your little ones to hold their collected candy.
- Keep the littles – and your self – out of the street as much as possible. With military vehicles and motorized floats, situational awareness is important for safety.
- A camera, for capturing those special moments.
- Your patriotism.