It’s time again to deck the halls and trim the tree. For many of us here in Central Oregon, that means it’s time to head into the woods and find that perfect Christmas tree.
But did you know that you’ll need a permit to cut and take that tree home with you? Christmas tree permits are required for each tree, with five Christmas tree permits maximum, per household. There are a few places in Deschutes County where tree permits can be found, and we’re happy to be one of them.
Christmas tree permits can be purchased at Village Properties at Sunriver.
Permits cost $5 each, and can be purchased from Village Properties during business hours. Our offices are located in the Sunriver Business Park at 56835 Venture Lane, Suite 109. You can also call us at 1-800-SUNRIVER with any questions.
Once you have your Christmas tree permit, here are a few things to note before heading out to find your tree:
- Permits are good only for trees cut within the Deschutes National Forest.
- Christmas tree permits should be attached to your tree for the ride back home.
- Only cut down trees that are less than 12 feet tall. (The most popular varieties include Douglas fir, White fir, Incense Cedar, Lodgepole and Ponderosa Pines.)
- Only cut down trees that are within 15 feet of another tree.
- Make sure that the stump you leave behind is less than 12 inches tall.
- Don’t cut trees that are:
- located on private property.
- located within 150 feet of developed areas such as highways, picnic areas, campgrounds, etc.
- located within 300 feet of bodies of water.
- located in an area with lots of young trees.
Stop by Village Properties at Sunriver to purchase your Christmas tree permit:
Sunriver Business Park
56835 Venture Lane, Suite 109
Sunriver, OR 97707